Monday, June 3, 2013

Spoiled Little Dancer.

I have only less than two months to go in Brisbane. That is a scary thought. I'm afraid of going back, because I've gotten spoiled. Spoiled of having as much social dancing as I want to do. Spoiled of having great dancers and friends around me all the time. Spoiled of feeling like a special and great dancer. Spoiled of being able to enjoy dancing the most.

If there is only one big dance party during the weekend, I get irritated. If I don't get couple of wow-factoring dances during any dance party, I am surprised. If I don't see my dancer friends for a week, I feel strange. My life is so full of dancing, and I love it. My roommate asked me one day: 'Do you really dance every day?' I went: 'Well, I have classes only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. And wait, Mondays I go Popping. Oh, and Wednesday Hiphop. Then there's the dancing parties at least every Friday and Sunday, and occasionally on Saturdays. Right, so that would count as a yes!'

I can't say that I have been feeling home sick since I got here. I've missed my friends, but they are still reachable with Facebook and Skype. I've missed a bigger wardrobe, but somehow always managed to combine my small selection of clothes to fit every occasion. I have missed getting around easily, but most of the time there is someone nice to give me a ride home after dancing. Therefore, I can't really say that I'm looking forward going back. If I didn't have the special someone waiting for me in Helsinki, I just might apply for working holiday visa and stay an extra year.

Okay I admit, there are some things that I do miss. I hugely miss dancing Kizomba. I miss having proper one-on-one dance practices. I miss dancing with specific dancers. I miss the amazing European dance festival culture. I miss good Bachata dances. I miss dance practices with mirrors. I miss cloakrooms where to leave my valuables while I disappear to the dance floor for the night. I miss long dance parties that last till late.

The last two months are going to be different. I have two amazing friends and my family coming over, and I'll be done with my studies here in few weeks time. I feel privileged to have friends that will travel literally to the opposite side of the world to see me, although it will be exciting to see how I can be the perfect host my friends deserve and still keep on with my spoiling dancing life.

No comments:

Post a Comment